Thursday, July 12, 2012

Visiting the Carrefour 7/11/2012

Ok, so I am apparently VERY easily impressed. Keep in mind we live in Key West and we live closer to Cuba than the closest Wal-Mart. On our last trip to Taiwan, I wanted to go to Carrefour (like a Wal-Mart) but never got David to go along. This time, it was mandatory that I go. LOL !!! I could have spent the whole day here, but David could only handle an hour. I guess I should be grateful he hung in there that long. It was 5 or 6 floors of things for me to be amazed by. Things I had no clue what they were, but just wanted to wander and stare. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera and had to beg David to take pictures of this or that with his phone. After I would point out something and say please take a picture, he would roll his eyes, give a big sigh, and say "really?" or "oooooookaaaaay" or "you know we need to hurry!!" or something else. You ladies out there know what I mean!!!

Mommy and Kendall with Wen and Jill behind us. We were on this awesome escalator that was completely flat, like a conveyor belt. When you rolled the buggy onto it, the wheels locked onto it by some magical force. It was TOOOO cool. Even David was impressed by the escalators.

Olivia with her "stop trying to make me smile" smile. She wasn't nearly as impressed with the escalator as we were. Wen and Jill thought we were out of our minds. Oh, the buggies also rolled sideways, not just forward and back like what you have in a grocery store.

Jill and Wen holding up the arm covers that many ladies wear around here. Wen wears them. They are like sleeves you put on (like a fingerless glove) to keep the sun off. They are the made of the same material as a dress sock. Can you imagine wearing socks on your arms in this blistering heat?????
Beer.
Freshly strung sausages. Wine sausage? Ok, but unless it's wrapped in a plastic package, and in a refrigerated box, there is no chance, not one single chance, that I would eat it. YUK !!!
Fish parts and pieces. The smell was, well.......just gross. Very fishy. I'm not a seafood lover in the first place, but being around all the creepy parts of ocean dwellers just clinched the deal. GAG..... Still, I was loving this place !!!
 
The round things were advertised as Fish Balls. I am pretty sure fish don't come in balls, or have them, so I deduced that this was a ground up fish, formed into a ball. They were cooked and raw and being offered up to customers walking by who were gobbling them up. They were sort of grayish with a pinkish center, maybe those were rare. Who knows. When I walked up to take the picture, the lady offered me one. LOL !!!! Since Hell hasn't frozen over yet, there was no way I was trying it.........not even if it was the last scrap of food left on this earth. The silver things were some type of tiny fish. They looked a bit like bait, but folks were munching on them big time. And the best part was the aluminum bin on the back of the table. Sautéed Fish Skin with vegetables. Really? Out of all the bits and pieces one could eat, why would you want to mess with this? That just takes NASTY to a whole new level !!!!!

Kendall, Mommy, and Olivia next to the tank that housed the biggest carp I've ever seen. I mean HUGE !!!! But they were gross, too. Swimming in greenish water, and their skin wasn't healthy looking. Which of course, made me wonder about the fish skin they were serving up on the other aisle.
 
Clams and more fish. The clams in the red basket were teeny, tiny, like the size of a dime.
 
Produce
 
 
Scooters at VERY good prices.
$39,900 NT is $1,331 USD. That is a really nice scooter for that price,
and that is assembled and out the door.
 
 
I hope you liked the pictures !!! Even though we were in what amounted to a Wal-Mart, there were no inappropriately spandex-clad women, or men with butt-cracks showing wandering around. You know, those Wal-martian emails that get sent around showing people wearing stuff at a Wal-Mart that most of us wouldn't be caught dead in? Everyone looked pretty normal. LOL.
 
Sheryl
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Love, the photos, and you you so relaxed Sheryl.
    Love the shopping in the Carefourrs.... I could have spent hours each time I went. THe girls look like they are getting to know each other and so comfortable....
    Enjoy the rest of your stay.... Thanks for sharing with all of us....

    ReplyDelete

Your comment has been submitted and may take up to 24 hours to display.